Tuesday, February 15, 2005

True Geography: Openshaw and Harley

On my first read-through of Openshaw's editorial, I honestly found it rather amusing, but not particularly useful or effectiveness - the thing that stood out most in my mind was his theory that the critics of GIS weren't real geographers, and that was merely because I find it humorous when people think that accusing detractors of being hacks is an effective argument.

But my second glance through the articles this evening brought another possible dimension to mind; Openshaw seemed to define the geographer that Harley described, the geographer obsessed with creating and maintaining a reputation that is primarily objectively scientific. And in that way, despite Openshaw's claims of being progressive, he is actually quite traditional.

Thoughts?

No comments: