Wednesday, February 02, 2005

The influence of place on idividual identity

In regards to the Tuan article I was drawn to this concept of places having an essence that can only truly be appreciated once we leave that physical space. Yet Fields of Care “can be known in essence only from within” (p. 451) – you must have repeated experience with them, live them, form a social bond with the place. My question/comment involves the role of a physical space's identity/essence in influencing the identity of the individuals who occupy that space. If we learn the essence of a place through either leaving it or having repeated interaction with it does our perception of the physical place have an effect on my identity? Does my sense of self rely on my connection to my physical surroundings? I would argue in the affirmative - thoughts?

No comments: